What do you do when the snow finally falls? Create an arctic hunt preschool letter activity of course! To be honest, I had been itching to do this activity since last year, especially after Jael’s arctic sensory bin, was such a success. I wanted to create a sensory activity that was fun and allowed C to work on identifying his preschool letters as he refuses to even sit and do a worksheet.
Arctic Hunt ALPHABET Activity
I have heard so many debates lately about how to teach the letters of the alphabet and I have simply followed C’s lead and he seems to grasp the letters better when they are used in context and in groups.
As a result, all of C’s preschool letter activities are done with all the letters of the alphabet as opposed to a letter of the week.
Arctic Hunt ALPHABET Activity Supply List
Looking for a few books to read to your kids with this fun arctic hunt alphabet activity? Simply check out the books below from your local library or grab them via Amazon!
Please note that affiliate links are used below for your convenience.
Over in the Arctic: Where the Cold Winds BlowArctic Foxes (Nature’s Children)Animals of the Arctic Tundra: Polar Region WildlifeArctic Animals (Cold Feet)Amazing Arctic Animals (Penguin Young Readers, Level 3)Hello, World! Arctic AnimalsPolar Bear IslandIce Is Nice!: All About the North and South Poles (Cat in the Hat’s Learning Library)The Lamp, the Ice, and the Boat Called Fish: Based on a True StoryArctic White
Items Needed for the Arctic Hunt Alphabet Activity
Here’s what you need:
Wild Republic Penguin Figurines Tube, Penguin Toys, Emperor Penguin, Gentoo, Chinstrap, Adelie, Rockhopper And Swimming Penguins Ten Piece Set12 Pieces Polar Animal Figurines Toys Polar Animal Figures Set Includes 6 Pieces Polar Bear Family Figurines and 6 Pieces Emperor Penguin Family Figures for Birthday Christmas Party FavorEducational Insights Color-Coded Jumbo Uppercase AlphaMagnets, Set of 42 Uppercase Letters: Perfect for Homeschool & Classroom, Ages 3+Educational Insights Multicolored Jumbo Lowercase AlphaMagnets, Set of 42 Lowercase Letters: Perfect for Homeschool & Classroom, Ages 3+Eureka Tub of Letter Tiles, Upper and Lower Case, Pack of 176
You will also need:
- fork or spoon to move snow around
- plastic sheet to rest container on
- highlighter or crayon
- Arctic Letter Hunt sheet (at the end of the post)
- Arctic Blends Hunt Sheet
HOW TO PLAY
- Place all the magnetic letters at the base of the container and add the snow.
- Place the plastic sheet (think shower curtain liner) on the floor and place the container on it.
- Give your preschooler the spoon or fork or even a beach shovel toy, to dig for the letters.
- Once a letter is found, simply allow your child to find the corresponding letter on the sheet and color it.
EXTENDED ARCTIC HUNT PLAY
Jael also wanted to get in on the fun and she is beyond learning her letters so I also created her own little game. She also had to search in the tub to find the letters for each blend on her sheet.
The instructions are the same as above except you simply have your kindergartner find the letters of blends such as ‘sh’ and ‘bl’. This is why I chose to use letter tiles for her and magnetic letters for my son.
Check out these other Arctic Tundra Activities
- Arctic Animal Sensory Writing Tray by Fun-A-Day
- Home-made Books: Tundra by Powerful Mothering
- Why Are Polar Bears White? | Animal Adaptations on the Arctic Tundra by Raising Lifelong Learners
- Tundra Animal Sharing and Halving by Rainy Day Mum
- Arctic Edition, Mother May I Gross Motor Game by Tiny Tots Adventures
- Arctic Animal Matching Games by Life Over C’s
- Arctic Animals Preschool Science: Blubber and Ice Explorations! By The Preschool Toolbox Blog
- Science Fun-Learning About the Woolly Bear Caterpillar by Capri + 3
- Arctic Preschool Letter Hunt by Learning 2 Walk
- Polar Bear Sound Activity by Growing Book by Book
- Arctic Animals Writing Prompts by The Educators’ Spin On It