Are you currently working on identifying beginning sounds with your little one? Then these Bugs Beginning Sounds Worksheets are definitely what you need.
Congrats, you have made it to Day 10: Bugs Beginning Sounds Worksheets! This is the last day of the 10 Days of Teaching Phonics series! This series was created to help you introduce letter sounds as well as short vowels to your kids. So whip out your free Simple Lesson Planner for Printables and add this to your list of activities for next week.
Bugs Beginning Sounds Worksheets
Let me now do a quick recap of everything that has been covered:
- 10 Days of Teaching Phonics (what is phonics, when to teach your kids as well)
- Resources To Help With Teaching Phonics (technology isn’t all bad)
- Free Letter Sound Cards and a few games to help you use them
- Learning about the Short Vowel Sounds
- Farm Short /a/ Words Worksheets
- Ocean Animals Short /e/ Words Worksheets
- Pets Short /i/ Words Worksheets
- Goldilocks Short /o/ Worksheets
- Fruits and Vegetables Short /u/ Worksheets
And just in case you missed it, there have also been complete packs for the short vowel words.
These can be found on the NSH Worksheets Collective!
Books and Other Resources for Your Bug Themed Lesson
Below you will find a few book suggestions as well as fun resources to enhance your bug-themed lesson. Feel free to also try out audiobooks as well as visit your local library to see what they recommend.
Please note that affiliate links are used below to help you find everything that I mentioned.
To create this activity for your kids, you need a few things first. The download link to the worksheets can be found at the end of the post.
The Big Book of Bugs (The Big Book Series)Ultimate Bugopedia: The Most Complete Bug Reference Ever (National Geographic Kids)Bugs A to ZThe Backyard Bug Book for Kids: Storybook, Insect Facts, and ActivitiesNational Geographic Little Kids First Big Book of Bugs (National Geographic Little Kids First Big Books)Hello, World! Backyard BugsRESTCLOUD Insect and Butterfly Net with 12#1 M-jump 3 Pack Colored Telescopic Butterfly Nets – Great for Catching Insects Bugs Fishing – Outdoor Toy for Kids Playing – Extendable from 6.8
Preparing and Using the Bugs Beginning Sounds Worksheets
Print the Bugs Beginning Sounds Worksheets
In order to start using these free bugs worksheets, you need to print the Bugs Beginning Sounds Worksheets (at the end of this post). Feel free to laminate each mat for durability. You can also use protective sheets as well.
Second, cut out the sound bugs with the paper trimmer. You can also use a pair of scissors. I have found using a paper trimmer to be significantly faster.
Third, have your child sort the bugs according to the mat.
Allow your child to use the answer key to see if they have sorted the cards in the Bugs Beginning Sounds Worksheets correctly.
If your printer allows it, print the answer key pages on 1 sheet. This allows you to save both paper and ink.
Other Ways To Use The Bugs
Beginning Sounds Worksheets
- Use the letter sound bugs cards that you have previously cut out. Have your child MATCH these cards with the letter tiles.
- Have them practice writing the beginning sounds by using a sand tray. You can also have them use a dry erase marker or dry erase crayons.