Who doesn’t love Duplos? Better yet, what kindergartner can resist an awesome Duplo consonant blends activity? My daughter went nuts for this activity once I reassured her the clean up was minimal- but we will get into those details soon.
J, is currently working on mastering those pesky consonant blends and I love how determined she is to get them. In order to help her, I put together a fun activity while we were playing with her blocks.
Just in case you have no idea what Duplos are, it is simply the larger version to LEGOs. My kids love to build with their Duplos as well as their building block but unfortnately, our activity didn’t work that well with the building blocks.
DUPLO CONSONANT BLENDS ACTIVITY
Before you can start all the fun you need a few things: (Please note that affiliate links are used below for your convenience)
- Dry erase markers
- Duplo Set
- flat surface
- timer (a watch or the timer on your phone will do)
- sensory bin (optional)
HOW TO PLAY
Okay, you now have everything you need for this fun filled game so lets learn how to play.
- Decide on what blends you wish to work on. We chose a few from her reading curriculum LOE Foundations A and used our arctic blends worksheets.
- Write 1 letter on each duplo and place them on the table.
- Tell your student the rules: They will have to create a blend by putting 2 Duplos together and they have 1 minute to see how many they can create. The Arctic Worksheets (or blends list that you have created) will be their guide.
- Set your timer and watch your student figure out each blend.
- Once the time is up, ask them to read aloud each blend they have created.
PS: Don’t forget to check out these other awesome Lego activities
- LEGO Addition Mat for Greater Than/Less Than from Life Over C’s
- Duplo Lego Geoboard from Still Playing School
- Duplo Consonant Blends Activity from Learning 2 Walk
- Educational Playtime with Duplo – Sorting, Estimating and Building from Crafty Mama in ME
- LEGO DUPLO Sight Word Towers from Mom Inspired Life
- Build A Lego Catapult from Powerful Mothering
- Geometric Blueprints with LEGO from Handmade Kids Art
- Slippery Lego Duplo Fine Motor Practice from Best Toys 4 Toddlers
- Penguin Ice Cube Counting With LEGO from Preschool Powol Packets
- Word Building with LEGOS from Sugar Aunts
- Hands-on Science: Creating a Water Cycle Project using LEGO from Edventures with Kids
- Lego Tower Subtraction Race from The Kindergarten Connection
- Lego: 5 reasons you should use it with your kids from The Usual Mayhem
- Lego Heart Marble Maze from Lemon Lime Adventures
- Dumping Lego Colour Match Activity from Teach me Mommy
- Feed the Duplo Alien from Adventures of Adam
- How To Create A Duplo Block Painting from Raising Little Superheroes
- Letter Sequencing with Lego Duplo from School Time Snippets
- Lego ordering, days of the week from In The Playroom
- Dental Flossing with Duplo from Study at Home Mama
- LEGO Math Ten Frame Games from Lalymom