Have you ever asked your child how long they think something was or how tall they think you are? Well I have, and my daughter’s responses always crack me up as she has no clue about measurement. This week’s #toolsforlearning challenge is using bite sized snacks and so I am going to teach.
WHAT YOU NEED
- Goldfish snacks
- objects to measure
- a piece of paper to write down guessed measurements
Points to note, my son loves Goldfish snacks- he simply cannot get enough of them (I even gave him the whole wheat ones and those are now his favourites). My daughter on the other hand would rather play with them than eat them. I plan on using their love and hate relationship to teach them how to measure a few common objects around them.
HOW TO PLAY THE GOLDFISH MEASUREMENT MATH GAME
Playing our measurement game is EXTREMELY easy.
- Ask your kids or student to pick an object they want to measure.
- Before they measure, ask them to guess how many goldfishes long it will be.You may want to write it down to see how crazy of a number that say.
- Have them measure the object to see if they were correct. Remind them that they start at the top of the object all the way to the bottom and each fish has to touch the other one.
- Whoever was closest in number or chose the right number wins the game.
Try these other fun snack activities this week
How Many Cows on the Farm Counting Game from Life Over C’
Gold Fish Measurement Math Game from Learning 2 Walk
Find the Letters Snack Sheet from Still Playing School
Make Learning Fun: Math Facts with Teddy Grahams from Crafty Mama in ME
Crushed Rainbow Cereal Process Art from Play Dough & Popsicles
Teach Preschoolers Fractions from Preschool Powol Packets
Feed The Penguin from Adventures of Adam
Jelly Bean Maths Game from Mum in the Madhouse
How Many Goldfish in the Bowl Game from Play & Learn Everyday
Cheerios Number Tracing from Schooling a Monkey
ABC Pretzels from Books and Giggles
Fish Cracker Color Patterns from The Kindergarten Connection
Animal Cracker Oral Motor Exercise with Shape Identification from Sugar Aunts