Learning to sort by several attributes such as size and color is a skill that preschoolers need to acquire. Some may come by this skill naturally while others simply needed to be guided. Caleb has shown some interest in putting things where they belong and matching a few items such as red counting bears in a red cup. The #TeachECE team has created a wide range of activities for the My Neighbourhood preschool theme and today I will share our preschool math color sorting activity.
WHAT YOU NEED FOR THIS PRESCHOOL MATH ACTIVITY
- cardstock paper
- My Neighbourhood color sort mat(provided below)
- My Neighbourhood color pieces (provided below)
- laminating sheets or protective sleeves
HOW TO PREPARE YOUR PRESCHOOL MATH COLOR SORTING ACTIVITY
FIRST, print either one of the color mats or both mats on cardstock and laminate if possible. If you cannot laminate it, simply place it in a protective sheet in order to reduce any damages.
SECOND, print all the My neighborhood color cards on cardstock paper and create a stack.
THIRD, demonstrate what needs to be done. Simply choose a color card and place it on the color where it belongs.
FOURTH, allow them to sort by color.
- 7 Ways to Grow a Reader on a Neighborhood Walk from Growing Book by Book
- Community Helpers Bingo Alphabet Activity by Mom Inspired Life
- Word Family Houses from Rainy Day Mum
- The Big Orange Splot Art Activity by Capri +3
- Community Helpers Theme for Preschool: Bubbly Fires Science Activity! from The Preschool Toolbox
- My Neighbourhood Preschool Math Color Sorting by Learning 2 Walk
- Shapes in Our Neighborhood Book from Munchkins and Moms
- Fireman Playdough Printable by Life Over C’s