Christmas is getting closer and closer- actually, as of today, there are 7 days to Christmas. This week’s preschool lesson plan for Playful Preschool is Lights. We chose to do a sensory Christmas art activity and J loved it perhaps a little more than I expected. Let’s walk.
What You Need
Please note that affiliate links are used below for your convenience.
- 1 (or 2) canvas panels
- 2 bowls
- plain yogurt (yes, you read that correctly)
- food coloring (red and green)
- thumbs of your preschooler
- essence of peppermint (or any scent you prefer)
Food Coloring Liqua-Gel – 6 Color Rainbow Kit in .75 fl. oz. (20ml) BottlesUS Art Supply 8 X 10 inch Professional Artist Quality Acid Free Canvas Panels 12-Pack (1 Full Case of 12 Single Canvas Panels)Sharpie Permanent Markers, Chisel Tip, Black, 12-Count
- Simply place 1/4 cup of yogurt into a bowl. Add a few drops of peppermint.
- Divide the yogurt between the 2 bowls, ensuring that 1/8 (half of the 1/4 cup of yogurt) is in each bowl.
- Add 5 (or more depending on how intense you want the colors to be) drops of red food coloring in 1 bowl and do the same with the green for the other bowl.
- Mix and grab your canvas.
Next, instruct your preschooler to dip their thumb into any color they choose. Let them know that they will be using their fingerprints to create the first letter of their name. For us, it was J for Jael. Don’t forget to alternate between the red and the green paint.
Lastly, once they are done, grab your black marker and connect them as if it were the wires of the Christmas lights. DONE!
For MORE Hands-on Light Theme Play and Learn Activities:
Matching ABCs Lights Activity by Mom Inspired Life
abc Christmas Lights by Powerful Mothering
5+ Christmas Lights Math Activities for Preschoolers by LIfe Over C’s
Christmas Lights Activities for Preschool: Pony Bead Counting Sticks by The Preschool Toolbox
Lights on the Tree Sensory Play by Fun-A-Day!
Scented Fingerprint Christmas Lights by Learning 2 Walk
Make a Light Bulb Model by Capri + 3
How to Make Shadow Puppets: Play and Learn with Lights by The Educators’ Spin On It