Watching your child learn to read can be so painful and yet so fulfilling. J has mastered both long and short vowel sounds and she loves using the vowel games that I have created for her. Our learning with manipulatives challenge this week is dice- and so I am sharing our rainforest long and short vowel reading game.
I shared some time ago our first vowel game which was a fine motor long vowel activity that involved tongs. This time I wanted to keep it simple as I wanted to work on mastering both long and vowel sounds. Sadly thins time C did not join in on the fun as he was fast asleep but it did allow us to get a few rounds in without any interruptions.
WHAT YOU NEED
Before you can start all the fun you need a few things: (Please note that affiliate links are used below for your convenience):
Neenah Exact Index Card Stock, 8.5 x 11 Inch, 90 lb, White, 250 Sheets (40311)HP OfficeJet Pro 8720 Wireless All-in-One Photo Printer with Mobile Printing, Instant InkSchool Smart Dotted Dice – Set of 36 – Assorted Colors
- Game pieces (included in game board pack)
- Rainforest Vowels Reading Game Board (at the end of the post)
HOW TO PLAY OUR LONG VOWEL ACTIVITY
- Print the game board on card stock as well as a rainforest game piece.
- Gather all your supplies- dice, game board, playing pieces, word cards.
- Decide if you will be working on short vowels, long vowels or both. Then print and cut out the appropriate cards.
- If you are working on both vowels, allow your child to pick a card, read it and then roll the dice. If they roll a 5, then they must move the dice 5 spaces with the tongs. No fingers allowed.
- The first player to reach END wins.
Here are a few other dice activities from the #toolsforlearning crew:
Rainbow Bear Dice Game for Preschoolers from Life Over C’s
Place Value Game with Dice from Still Playing School
Rainforest Dice Long and Short Vowel Reading Game from Learning 2 Walk
Preschool Rainbow Grid Game from Preschool Powol Packets
Monster Math: A Dice Simple Math Activity from Play Dough & Popsicles
Fun Shapes Dice Game for Kids from School Time Snippets
Writing Game Using Dice from Teach me Mommy
10-Sided Dice Multiplication Game from Line upon Line Learning
Alphabet Dice Letter Formation Activity from Sugar Aunts
Venn Diagram Dice Probability STEM Activity from Schooling a Monkey
Block Stacking Dice Game from Kidz Activities
Simple Addition Dice Game from Powerful Mothering
DIY Dice from Sugar Spice & Glitter