Today I will be sharing with you a preschool science experiment that took us 4 times to get it right. This week’s theme for Playful Preschool is Healthy Kids. Seeing that this is the month where dental health is popular I chose to focus on that. Our preschool science experiment is called Elephant’s Toothpaste. Let’s walk.
Elephant’s Toothpaste Preschool Science Experiments
What You Need
- 20 oz container
- 1/2 cup hydrogen peroxide
- 10 drops food colouring
- 1 tablespoon dishwashing liquid
- 1 tablespoon dry yeast
- 3 tablespoons warm water
- a bowl or tray to minimize spills
1. Grab your container and place the hydrogen peroxide in. You can get hydrogen peroxide at your local pharmacy.
2. Add your dish-washing liquid to the container and mix everything together.
3. In a small cup, add your 3 cups of warm water.
4. Add the dry yeast and mix. For it to be effective, leave it for 3 minutes to do its thing. (Learnt this one the hard way.)
5. Once it is mixed, have your preschooler add 10 drops of their favourite coloured food colouring. Mix.
6. Pour the coloured yeast mixture and prepare for awesomeness (or according to J, a bubble bath).
Mistakes To Avoid
1. Choose the correct size container. I chose a 2 L bottle thinking that I was playing it safe and the foam did not get all the way to the top.
2. Ensure that you allow the yeast mixture to sit for at least 3 minutes before you add the food colouring and before you add it to your other container.
Don’t forget to see what the other Playful Preschool bloggers have this week. Thanks for walking with me.
Teaching Children About Feelings Vs. Behavior by Capri + 3
Letter Match Tooth Cleaning Game by Rainy Day Mumm
Brushing Teeth Song by Growing Book by Book
Nutrition: Sorting and Categorizing Food by Mom Inspired Life
Healthy Food Habits in Preschool: Sorting and a Paper Plate Project by The Preschool Toolbox Blog
Asthma Action Plan by Tiny Tots Adventures
Hand Washing Sequencing and Song by The Educators’ Spin On It
Elephants Toothpaste by Learning 2 Walk